PVHS Organizes 'Day of Service' for Jan. 21
In honor of Martin Luther King, Jr., the high school is asking students to spend time on their day off helping others.
Perkiomen Valley High School students may have off from school on Monday in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, but the school district is asking them to "make it a day on" in his memory.
The Perkiomen Valley School District has provided eight local volunteer opportunities for students on their day off, and is asking students to sign up on the PVHS website.
“Just as Philadelphia has done, we would like to use this day to serve others in memory of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,” the website says.
The school district has organized opportunities for students to volunteer in a variety of capacities throughout the Perkiomen Valley. Opportunities include:
- Weeding and yard work in an orchard for Greener Partners/Longview Center for Agriculture.
- Wash and paint the walls at the Keystone Grange No. 2 in Trappe.
- Learn about serving as a reading tutor and sorting books for a children’s book drive at the American Youth Literacy Organization.
- Sort coats for feel the warmth in Jeffersonville
- Help to clean up the Perkiomen Fire House, Variety Club, and the Trappe Fire Co.
- Provide companionship for residents at Greenfield Senior Living.
Editor's Note: A story will follow with local volunteer opportunities for Perkiomen Valley residents.