News and Notes Before Hurricane Irene (updated)
Check out changes, cancellations and advisories.
Perkiomen Valley, as well as the surrounding region, has been bracing itself for Hurricane Irene's arrival. The following information includes resident information and updates on this weekend's event changes/cancellations.
• Montgomery County Director of Communications John Corcoran this morning released the following information for county residents:
The Montgomery County Public Safety Department will increase staffing in its 9-1-1 emergency call center and open its Emergency Operations Center in Eagleville Saturday and maintain staffing into Monday.
Residents are asked to only call 9-1-1 if they need a response by police, fire or EMS. Power outages should be reported to PECO by calling 1-800-841-4141.
Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the biggest sources of injury or death following a major storm due to the use of gasoline powered generators and other tools, such as power washers, that are not properly ventilated. Also, do not use charcoal grills indoors.
Do not drive during the storm unless absolutely necessary. If you do drive, watch for debris, downed trees and limbs and utility lines, which could be live. If you encounter a flooded roadway, do not attempt to drive through it.
Please sign up to receive emergency text messages at montco.alertpa.org. This is your personal connection to real-time updates, instructions on where to go, what to do, or what not to do, who to contact and other important information.
• Ursinsus College students can move in a day early this weekend—Saturday, instead of waiting until Sunday.
An email to upper classmen stated: "Students who would like to return early can come to the Wismer Parents’ Lounge to pick up their keys on Saturday between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. These students will be able to eat dinner in Wismer on Saturday (5 to 6:30 p.m.) as well as brunch on Sunday (11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.). Students may also check in at the Parents’ Lounge on Sunday from 9 a.m. to noon. Because of the weather forecast, we anticipate moving Sunday’s all-campus picnic dinner indoors."
• The Perkiomen Creek Sojourn is still being held Saturday, but the route will end on Rahn's Island in Perkiomen Township instead of Hoy Park in Lower Providence Township.
• Perkiomen Fire Company's Al Laskey Memorial Auto Show, which was scheduled for Sunday, has been canceled.
• Rita's Water Ice in Zieglerville announced via Facebook that the store will be closed Sunday.
• Need a caffeine fix? You might have to wait if you want a cup from Starbucks. Depending on the weather's severity, area stores in the chain will not open before noon Sunday -- if at all.