MLK Day of Service Events in Montco Area
Looking for something to do in honor of Martin Luther King Jr.? Patch has a list of worthwhile events and volunteer opportunities on MLK Day.
- Bethlehem Baptist Church and The Wissahickon Faith Community will host the Martin Luther King Jr., Memorial Awards Service, Jan. 20 at 4 p.m., at Bethlehem Baptist, 712 Penllyn Pike, Ambler.
- Maple Glen Elementary School's Day of Service will be held Jan. 21 at the SHARE Food Program in Philadelphia. RSVP required ASAP.
- Abington Friends School's Day of Service Clothing Sale will benefit the Women's Center of Montgomery County. The annual event, held Jan. 19 from 9 a.m. to noon at the school, 575 Washington Lane, Jenkintown, will feature children's and adult's clothing for $1, $2 or $3 per item. Admission is free.
- Greater Norristown PAL's annual Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Community Day of Service will be held Jan. 21 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sign up for various community service projects, including painting, organizing, moving and gardening at the PAL Center, 240 Harding Blvd., Norristown.
- Montgomery County - Norristown Public Library, 1001 Powell St., Norristown, will show the movie Our Friend Martin, the story of two boys on a class field trip, who travel back in time to Martin Luther King Jr.'s day, on Jan. 21 from 1 to 2 p.m., and again from 2 to 3 p.m. The movie is rated, and will be shown in the library's Community Room, first floor.
- Theist Temple Church of God in Christ will host a Freedom Concert to honor the lives and legacies of Martin Luther King Jr., and Coretta Scott King. The black-tie event will be held Jan. 20 at 4 p.m., at 535 E. Marshall St., Norristown. Tickets are $5 in advance, and $7 at the door.
- Elmwood Park Zoo will offer free admission, Jan. 21, and special performances for MLK Day at the Zoo, 1661 Harding Blvd., Norristown. The education department will present "I Have a Dream," featuring live animal encounters, at 1 p.m. Guests are asked to make a donation to the zoo or one of its many programs.
- Norristown Recreation Committee will sponsor MLK "Living the Dream" Awards Ceremony, Jan. 21 at 6 p.m., at Norristown Municipal Hall, 235 E. Airy St., Norristown. RSVP to Bill Plichta.
- Perkiomen Valley High School students will collect books for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the American Youth Literacy Foundation, Jan. 21 between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., at Perkiomen Township Building, 1 Trappe Road, Collegeville. The student volunteers will collect books appropriate for children ages 6 months to 5 years.
- Trappe Fire Co. will serve as a collection point for Cradles to Crayons, Jan. 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Drop off new clothin for infants and children, baby items, safety equipment, toys, books and school supplies at the fire company, 20 W. Fifth Ave., Trappe.
Do you know of another Martin Luther King Jr., event or Day of Service volunteer opportunity? Please share the details with our readers by commenting below.